Tea Monster: 12 Days of Christmas - Day 6

Monday, December 19, 2016

12 Days of Christmas - Day 6

On the Sixth Day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Winter Cabin Chai!


Wow, we're halfway through the countdown already? It's hard to think that in less than a week it'll be Christmas. Wasn't Thanksgiving a week ago? My how time flies.

I was pretty stoked to see the name of the tea reveal itself underneath that scratch off foil. I saw the words, 'winter cabin' and 'chai' together and got a little thrill. I love chai in the wintertime, it is such a soothing, warming collection of spices. And the words winter cabin immediately put in my head visions of a smoking chimney and comforting warmth.



Upon opening the package, I was not disappointed. The menagerie of spices mingled with a strong note of spice made all more enticing to my nose. I scooped out some tea to toss into my teapot and was pleasantly surprised to find that the cardamom pods in the blend had already been popped open. Usually, whenever I make myself a cup of chai, regardless of preparation, I always use my stone grinder to slightly crush the cardamom pods. That way, all the goodness and flavor will become more prominent in my cup. I do notice that the blend itself is very fine. I take note of this and reducing my usual black tea brewing time to just 2 1/2 minutes.

Sipping the brew, I let out a sigh of comfort. I love smoky notes in tea, so the more the merrier for me. Following the smoke flavor is a combination of cloves and allspice. Rounding out the cup is that cardamom I keep going on about as well as cinnamon and a light touch of black tea astringency. A very soothing cup for a cold December Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment