Tea Monster: 12 Days of Christmas - Day 7

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

12 Days of Christmas - Day 7

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me... Marshmallow Assam!

 
Happy December 20th! Yesterday was my brother in law's birthday, so we saw the new Star Wars movie. It's kind of a tradition of sorts, last year we saw episode VII on his birthday as well. Except this time, we didn't have to wait an hour and a half in line to get in. I snuck in a thermos of the last of the Coconut Flan Genmaicha from Day 3 of the Countdown just in case. But I did learn that genmaicha tastes great with movie popcorn 😛


Death Star Does Not Approve

As I scratched off today's label, I pondered on how this tea will play out, I vaguely remember some old tea friends discussing the original blend when Frank was still part of the company; yet I never tried it for myself. Marshmallow and Assam are on such different flavor levels for me, so I am curious to see if the Assam will play nice with the marshmallow.

I went by the package instructions because I know how touchy Assam can be when it's over-leafed or over-brewed. A level teaspoon for 2 1/2 minutes - another short steep time - and I was good to go. I could smell a light creamy sweetness, just as if someone had cracked open a jar of marshmallow fluff in the next room.

I hate to say this, but I may have found the one blend in this countdown that I do not like. I love marshmallows, and I think that the flavor is sublime in tea, and Assam is a comforting, almost nostalgic tea that brings back a lot of happy memories. However, the two together just don't vibe. The Assam that Anne used is a very drinkable black tea on it's own, but the robustness and the astringency of the tea itself almost completely drowns out the fluffity puffity marshmallow. There is just the slightest hint of a sweet creaminess at the end. I feel like the blend is a bit simple for what I know Anne can cook up.



ETA: I made this tea into a latte at work with eggnog and some extra nutmeg sprinkled on top.good lawd, it was tasty!

1 comment: