Tea Monster: 12 Days of Christmas - Day 8

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

12 Days of Christmas - Day 8

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ... Hot Buttered Spiced Rum Green Tea!

I am a little sad that this countdown is ending soon! I am really enjoying discovering a new tea each day. I still have a little bit of each tea to drink down, and part of me wants to savor them longer. I feel this way about plenty of teas that I've bought and all but forgotten. Chalk it up to my tea hoarder mentality; I don't want to run out of all these teas I like, so I let the last little bit sit around my tea cupboard for all eternity - or at least until I buy more and find I no longer have room. Trust me, the irony is not lost on me.

Opening this tea this morning, I wondered how the green tea would play out with the flavor I discovered on the package. Cracking it open, I see some dried citrus slices and some chunks of various spices. Butterscotch and rum waft up the package to greet my nose. The green tea looks like the Chinese sencha that was a part of the first day's blend. I was kind of hoping for a nuttier, creamier Chinese green tea like a Bi Luo Chun to match the buttered rum, but I liked the pale and slightly grassy sencha on the first day. It's lighter than the traditional Japanese version and can take a beating with temp and brew times.



I personally have never had hot buttered rum, but I can take a guess at the flavor. It brings thoughts of butterscotch pudding and lots of Bacardi.While this tea is not something I'd pick out for myself, I am surprised at how much I am enjoying it. While I feel like the Chinese Sencha used in the blend is a bit of a milder flavor profile in comparison to the spices and rum, it adds a smooth, refreshing finish to this dessert tea. I love how the spices combine with the rum flavor. It's like I spiked my drink with a little Captain Morgan. It's teas like this one that makes me happy I got the box. Finding something totally new and unexpectedly delicious is what's giving me life right now. Excuse me while I find some real rum to add to this tea...

No comments:

Post a Comment